St. Olaf Sesquicentennial

St. Olaf Sesquicentennial

Then & Now Tour: Stop 2

Holland Hall & Tomson Hall

In front of us is Holland Hall, which was built in 1925 for the college’s 50th anniversary and used to be the science building. Holland now houses the departments of History, Economics, Political Science, Philosophy, Sociology and Anthropology, and Social Work and Family Studies. In 1968 the sciences moved to Tomson Hall, which is behind us. Tomson Hall is now home to the language departments, the Admissions Office, the Smith Center for Global Engagement, the Piper Center for Vocation and Career, and a wide variety of administrative offices.

Regents Hall, Old Music Hall, Manitou Cottage

When the science and math departments became too big for Tomson Hall, Regents Hall of Natural and Mathematical Sciences was built. It connects to the Old Music Hall, where F. Melius Christiansen conducted the St. Olaf Choir for decades. The Old Music Hall was built in 1926 and was converted into math offices in the 1960s. Nearby was the original president’s house, also called Manitou Cottage. The first resident was the second president of St. Olaf, John Kildahl. Manitou Cottage was removed to build Regents Hall. Construction of the newest president’s house was completed in 2023, just in time for the inauguration of St. Olaf’s first female president: Susan Rundell Singer.

On the way…

Previous Item

Next Item